Reflect on teaching and learning more effectively
Reflecting on teaching and learning is central to effective professional development. As a reflective practitioner you become your own ‘critical friend’, identifying the small changes that can have a big impact on learning outcomes.
Reflective teaching can help you identify:
- What went well
- Areas that could have been improved
- Student engagement and learning behaviours
Applying this insight in your next lesson is known as reflective practice. However, amongst the everyday whirlwind, teacher reflection is not as always as effective as it can be.
“Staff already have the answers, they don’t need us to tell them anything. IRIS Connect allows teachers to hold a mirror up to their own practice and gain a much deeper insight.” – Barry Blakelock, Assistant Head, Bishop Justus C of E School
7 ways video can help you become a more reflective teacher
Ever wanted to go back and replay something that happened in a lesson? Or see what triggered a particular learner behaviour? With video, you can.
- Identify the things you might have missed or can’t recall
- Gain a deeper understanding of your students learning behaviours
- Analyse different causes and effects in your classroom
- Revisit the same lesson to gain perspective over time and recognise improvements
- Reflect on teaching and learning anytime, anywhere
- Stop, start and replay your lessons
- Share videos with colleagues for joint reflection and receive contextualised feedback
“IRIS Connect has really accelerated my progress because it’s allowed an insight into my practice that I wouldn’t have had in any other way.” – Christopher Brown, NQT, Braunstone Frith Primary School
Could you become a more reflective teacher?
Download your free practical guide to self-reflection to:
- Improve your self-reflection
- Identify what is holding you back
- Learn how to practice objective reflection